Friday 2 May 2014

Literary Tourism #2: 221b Baker Street

So, here is the second installment in my literary tourism series. Well, saying 'series' makes it sound as though I'm incredibly organised at planning my blog posts; actually, I just happened to stumble across Orwell's house on a trip to Portobello Road market back in September and yesterday I found myself in front of the house belonging to one of the most infamous detectives. Maybe we'll call this an accidental blog series, then.

221b Baker Street is of course the home of Arthur Conan Doyle's creation, Sherlock Holmes. The building is complete with a rather tongue-in-cheek blue plaque celebrating the Consulting Detective.


I wasn't the only one to take the opportunity for a photo opp - there was a huge queue of tourists down the street (in the pouring rain!!!) waiting to have their photo taken with a Victorian police officer and Holmes's notorious deer stalker hat.

Next door is the Sherlock Holmes Museum and Mrs Hudson's cafe - it seems Baker Street hosts quite an illustrious industry revolving around a fictional character. The Sherlock enterprise has no doubt been given a boost by the recent Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman adaptation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment