Thursday 6 March 2014

New app will help you read a novel in under 90 minutes (a.k.a. the holy grail for English undergrads)

So, I think it's fair to say we can all admit to skimming through a book, racing through pages with only a glancing at words at the beginnings and ends of paragraphs (or chapters - I've tried this. Surprisingly not a great way to get to grips with Ulysses....). As an English undergraduate, with sometimes three or four books to read per week in preparation for lectures and seminars (I know, poor me), I am a bit guilty of speed reading (and then maybe looking up a book plot on the internet - shhhh don't tell!). Rest assured, I have definitely learnt some cruel lessons from reading fast and fleetingly - I have been that sole person in a seminar scratching my head when everyone else is discussing the BIGGEST plot twist that I, somehow, COMPLETELY missed.

Today, I have been reading about a new bit of technology that would help you read a novel in less than 90 minutes - perfect for the busy English or indeed any student! Spritz is a new app designed to help you read fast - because, let's face it, as much as I would love to spend hours reading for leisure, life gets really busy.

Developed through research into how we read and reading techniques, Spritzing means you will not have to move your eyes across a page, therefore seriously cutting down your reading time. It's been described as an 'extremely efficient, precise, convenient and comfortable' method.

Don't believe me? You can test Spritz on this website: http://www.spritzinc.com/the-science/


Although Spritz may not appeal to everyone (because what's better than taking your time with a really good book?) there's definitely a target audience out there for this app: the lazy, unorganised student with lots of reading but not enough time!

No comments:

Post a Comment